Breakthrough in product services: How to lead and create stand out in a highly regulated utilities industry through a new customer service programme?
Affordability is a critical and complex issue in the water utility sector;
- Water supply is privately owned, publicly regulated and a basic necessity for everyone
- Water and waste treatment are universal services, but those on low incomes need a tailored service for their individual situations
- The cost base is relatively fixed, so reducing prices for some can shift the burden to others in the same region
- There are lots of interested parties including homeowners and renters, business customers, the industry regular and government, debt advisors, employees and shareholders
- Policy changes over time can also result in different service solutions which can be confusing and bound up in legal terms and conditions
How do you provide a service that recognises individual needs and is considered fair for all customers? How do you deliver a programme that is accessible for those that need it and supported by all who consider themselves stakeholders?
Wessex Water needed to set a new benchmark in affordability services. We designed a new programme, unique to Wessex Water, under a single brand: TAP (Tailored Assistance Services). TAP sets a new standard in the industry through:
- Evidenced-based engagement with representatives of the full range of stakeholder groups through in-depth consultation
- A single brand to access all of Wessex Water’s affordability services
- Connecting together a comprehensive range of diverse services including water and energy management advice, water saving devices, debt agency partnerships and tailored billing
- A track record of helping over 21,000 customers with their water bills